where I go, who I meet, and what I think in Europe

Thursday, May 21, 2009

German Food

I went to a brunch this afternoon with Kirsten, and it inspired me to write a short entry about German cuisine.

Breakfast:
For Americans breakfast typically consists of sweet things. We eat cereal, muffins with jam, waffles, pancakes, french toast, and donuts. Of course, larger breakfasts have bacon and sausage or an egg sandwich, but generally breakfast is sweet.
A german breakfast if very different. I can best describe it as being similiar to our lunch. They have brotchen which is like a bread roll. On brotchen they put butter, cheese, salami, turkey, ham, etc. This is very good tasting, but definately different.

Biggest Meal:
In America, our largest meal is dinner. We eat it sometime between 5pm and 8pm depending on work schedules, school, family yada yada yada. Dinner can really be any type of food, but we eat a lot of whatever is on the menu. Again, this is not the case in Germany.
Here, the main meal is lunch. Germans eat lunch around 1:30 when schools get their 65 minute break. The menu is very similiar to our dinner. However, it's served in the afternoon. This is just another food observation.

I have been trying my best to try new foods here in Europe. At home, I do not eat red meat, but I told myself food is culture, so I eliminated this absense in my diet for these three months in Europe. It's a good thing I made this decision because Germans eat a lot of meat. I asked Kirsten and Dominik if there are many vegetarians in Germany, and Kirsten seemed to think so, but Dominik did not. I guess it just depends...I am glad I haven't been a picky eater because I've learned about so many great foods, most of them are Turkish. Doner which I've already described in earlier entries and Lahmacun (pronounced Lacmajoon) which is Turkish pizza have been my favorites.

All this talk of food has made me hungry...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers